Tuesday, May 31, 2011

so then… i was a lone backpacker in corsica (corsica)

I must confess I have a small problem.

 

I’m slightly addicted… to checking budget airline web sites and booking flights on a whim. It was one of those days where I was doing my usual search and saw a destination pop up that I hadn’t seen before.

 

Corsica… an island belonging to France, slightly closer to the coast of Italy than it is to the coast of France; an island of rugged, wild beauty. It’s also an island with a strong separatist sentiment; Corsicans are very proud of their region and have their own culture, customs and language.

Booked. Non-refundable ticket.

 

Then I discovered that there aren’t really any budget hostels in Corsica, leaving me to wonder how I could manage to pull off this trip without exhausting my entire budget in one day. I started to read up a little more and found out that Corsica is heaven for campers.

I took my sleeping bag, loaded the rest in a backpack, and I was off.

 

I landed in Bastia, caught a bus to the fishing village turned resort port town of St. Florent and headed to a camping site. I was told I could pick whichever “lot” I preferred. I soon realized I was the only one without a tent and I was pretty much surrounded by groups of families with camper vans. You know, people who really know how to camp and have proper supplies and prepare for months in advance.

 

Read the rest here.

 

Written by Isabel for Life Out of a Suitcase. Read more stories by 20 something woman expats & travelers at Life Out of a Suitcase.

Saleccia_beach_corsica

No comments:

Post a Comment