Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Traveler Interview: Aix-en-Provence, France

This week’s Traveler Interview comes from Jessica Kulick from Of Revolt. This New Yorker left the clutches of the corporate world to be a digital nomad and experience all that Europe has to offer. You can also connect with Jessica on  Twitter. Enjoy her insights into Aix-en-Provence, France.

1. What do you wish you had taken on your trip?

A skirt or two; I’d forgotten how warm the weather is in the south of France (think Mediterranean temperatures), and the gorgeous sunshine had me wishing that I could frolic in a skirt rather than sweat it out in my jeans and cardigans.

 

2. What was the most useless thing you packed?

Jewelry! I bought a silk jewelry roll for $12 in New York City’s Chinatown especially for this trip, thinking I would look ever-so-chic with my bangles and baubles. Instead, I wear the same stud earrings and my engagement ring. Every. Single. Day. So silly.

 

3. On average, how much do things cost? The cost of a beer? Bread? A Blouse?

Aix-en-Provence is definitely less expensive than some of the larger cities in France (ahem, Paris). When going out at night, I would recommend skipping the beer and cocktails, which can cost about €5 for a pint and up to €11 (eek!) for a fancy cocktail. Go for wine instead, which is cheap and delicious in all its varieties here.

If you want to get truly Provençal, then buy a baguette (usually only €0.75) at any of the boulangeries, pick up a bottle of Vin de Pays (about €2.00) from a local Proxi, and make yourself a little picnic! Sit at one of the many fountains and engage in my favorite French sport: people-watching!

 

Read the rest here.

 

Written by Jessica for Life Out of a Suitcase. Read more stories by 20 something woman expats and travelers at Life Out of a Suitcase.

 

Sausage_aix_en_provence

No comments:

Post a Comment